When the Government is taking several initiatives to curb the Indian delta variant of the coronavirus down, the shocking news of newly spreaded black fungus has raised new angst concern across the countrymen. The infection of mucormycosis or black fungus can cause your eye damage permanently and eventually attack other major organs of the body dangerously. To put a full stop in this destruction, awareness and suggestions from the health experts can be pretty much enough.
What is Black Fungus?
Black Fungus meaning can be appropriate as a fungal disease. According to medical science, it’s also recognized as mucormycosis. Mucormycosis is a very rare infection. Black fungus infection on skin occurs when you come in contact with a fungus called mucor. The fungus is commonly found in soil, plants, fertilizers and rotting fruits and vegetables.
Fungus can exist naturally in soil and air. Even black fungus stays in the human body so naturally that it can stay normal in the nose and mucus of healthy people. This fungus infects the sinuses, brain and lungs. As the Covid-19 infected people’s lungs are weak, black fungus can pose a serious risk to them.
What Kind of Symptoms of Black Fungus Infection Can Appear?
Black Fungus in eyes is one of the most common black fungus cases discovered in the Indian Delta Plus variant Covid-19 or coronavirus.
Symptoms commonly seen in patients with black fungus include:
- Nasal congestion and bleeding from the nose
- Eye pain and eye swelling
- Eyelid drooping
- Blurred vision and from which the vision completely disappears later
- Black spots appear around the skin of the nose
What Are the Necessary Precautions to be Protected From Black Fungus?
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC), it is quite impossible to avoid areas where the fungus is present. Doctors signifies the fungus that cause mucormycosis are very common in the environment.
As black fungus treatment and any kind of black fungus medicine aren’t discovered yet, those with weakened immune systems may take precautionary steps to reduce the risk of mucormycosis infection.
These precautions to get protection from black fungus are highly recommended:
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or U.S. CDC suggests avoiding areas where there is a lot of dust. If it is not possible to avoid those places, then use the N95 mask.
- Avoid direct contact with the buildings which have been damaged by water due to natural disasters. The CDC says fungal infections can occur from these places.
- Should be careful enough so that any infection can’t happen on your skin. If it is cut somewhere on the skin or any injury to any part of your body, extra care should be taken so that it does not come in contact with dust and dirt.
- In case of Covid-19 patients, diabetes should be controlled as per the advice of the doctors.
- The patient should be careful enough when using steroids. Sometimes excessive use of steroids can make diabetes uncontrollable. As a result, the risk of infection with black fungus will be higher.
- Need to maintain cleanliness while giving oxygen to the patient.
- Always maintain cleanliness when using face masks.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention mentions that precautionary measures against mucormycosis are not fully enough yet. Hence, we can do our best as much as we can to stay protected from black fungus. Awareness can save many lives and so there’s no alternative to always being careful always.