Sacrifice is an important act of worship in Islam. Sacrifice is obligatory on the able-bodied person. If one does not perform this great act of worship despite his ability, he is condemned in the hadith. It has been narrated in the hadith, ‘He who has the ability to sacrifice, but does not offer the sacrifice, let him not come to our Eidgah.’ (Mustadrake Hakim, Hadith: 3519; Attargib Wat Tarhib: 2/155)
No doubt that Qurbani is an integral part of Eid-ul-Azha. But who among the people at different levels of society are actually considered capable of qurbani?
Who is Eligible for the Qurbani?
Nisab is the measure of the ability to perform qurbani in the name of the Almighty Allah (swt). Nisab means to have 7.5 tolas (3 ounces or 87.48 gram) of gold or its equivalent or 52.5 tolas (21 ounces or 612.36 gram) of silver or its equivalent. However, as like zakat, this amount of wealth is not a condition for 1 full year to be required for qurbani.
This nisab determines the qurbani is compulsory on whom and who is not eligible for qurbani. The following rules determine who can perform the qurbani.
1. On the 10th, 11th and 12th of the Zilhaj month if a muslim owns the additional nisab amount of wealth after fulfilling the all kinds of household expenses, then Qurbani will have to be done for sure.
2. Qurbani is a must do for a person who will be the owner of the specified amount of wealth between 10 Zilhaj Fajr and 12 Zilhaj evening.
3. To support a family a minimum amount of land or crops (food-grains) are needed. If the value of the land or crop from that amount or the value of any one of them is equal to the value of the nisab amount of property, then the qurbani is a must.
4. If a muslim owns cash money worth of BDT 55,000 or more, gold or silver ornaments, business as well as additional houses and furniture out of necessity equivalent to nisab, then qurbani will be mandatory.
5. If all members of the family own a nisab amount of wealth, then qurbani is obligatory on all of them.
6. No matter how much wealth a person owns, it requires only one portion of qurbani. There is no provision for multiple quotas of qurbani. However, there is more reward in multiple shares of qurbani.
7. If a person swears or intends for qurbani whether he is wealthy or not, it must be fulfilled.
8. If a poor person buys a sacrificial animal for qurbani, then the qurbani must be compulsory for that person.
9. Those who pay Zakat, Qurbani must be compulsory for them.
10. Qurbani must be performed by every independent, mature, owner of wealth, healthy men and women according to nisab.
If a person cannot make the wajib qurbani done on the day of 10 to 12th Zilhaj, then it is prescribed to give the value of a goat suitable for the qurbani if he has not purchased the sacrificial animal. And if the animal was purchased, but could not qurbani for any valid reason, then the animal will be donated alive. (Badayos Sanaye: 4/204; Fatawa Kazikhan: 3/345)
To satisfy Allah (swt) with our qurbani, the intention should be pure. May Allah (swt) grant our qurbani and reward us for the holy sacrifice.
Read Another Article: